March 13, 2010
A group of three news outlets articles on the subject follows below.
This is taken from an AP report:
Lawyers and city officials expressed confidence Friday that they can get ground zero responders to sign on to a settlement that would pay up to $657 million to workers who developed health problems after toiling in the ruins of the World Trade Center.
Thousands of workers who claim to have been sickened by dust and debris will have three months to decide whether to accept the package. If 95 percent don’t say yes, the deal is off.
The decision will be a complicated one, but a lead attorney for the firm that negotiated the settlement said most of the feedback from clients so far has been good.
“By far, the calls are running very positive. The clients are quite relieved that an end is in sight,” said Marc Bern, a senior partner with the law firm Worby, Groner, Edelman & Napoli, Bern LLP, which negotiated the deal.
Still, with 10,000 plaintiffs involved in the case, success isn’t assured. Only $575 million of the settlement is guaranteed. Some workers will qualify for only the minimum payment of $3,250. Any award they get could be depleted by a third or more once the plaintiffs’ lawyers take their cut.
And CNN reports this:
The settlement would provide a system to pay for the compensation of the injury claims made by people working on the rescue and debris removal for the city and its contractors. This would include construction workers, firefighters, police officers and other workers and volunteers. The settlement would also fund a special insurance policy, which provides additional compensation to any plaintiff contracting certain types of cancer in the future.
Christine LaSala, president of WTC Captive, said in a statement: “We have reached a settlement that is fair under difficult and complicated circumstances. This agreement enables workers and volunteers claiming injury from the WTC site operations to obtain compensation commensurate with the nature of their injuries and the strength of their claims, while offering added protection against possible future illness.”
In order to make a claim, plaintiffs will have to submit proof they were present and participated in the post-9/11 efforts. They will also have to present specific medical documentation, including a diagnosis confirming their illness or injury.
Another point of view is found here by Paul Watson;
“Rescue and recovery workers who were exposed to a toxic brew of smoke and dust in the aftermath of the September 11 terrorist attacks have been awarded $650 million in a compensation deal struck in New York,” reports the London Times.
“Thousands of 9/11 heroes, including firefighters, police officers, construction experts and emergency workers, have filed lawsuits since 2003 but last night’s agreement is expected to put an end to years of legal battles.”
As 9/11 truth organizations have constantly emphasized as part of their efforts to aid 9/11 first responders, it was a government lie about 9/11 in the very days after the tragedy that set in motion an 8 and half year legal battle to obtain justice for the heroes of that fateful day.
Five days after the 9/11 attack, Christie Todd Whitman, then head of the Environmental Protection Agency, told reporters, “The good news continues to be that air samples we have taken have all been at levels that cause no concern.”
However, the EPA’s own Office of the Inspector General later revealed that this was an outright lie. In August 2003 it was revealed that the government ordered the EPA to give the public misleading information, telling New Yorkers on September 12 it was safe to breathe when reliable information on air quality was not available and Asbestos levels were known to be three times higher than national standards.
“Whitman’s deliberate and misleading statements to the press, where she reassured the public that the air was safe to breathe around lower Manhattan and Brooklyn, and that there would be no health risk presented to those returning to those areas, shocks the conscience,” Manhattan Federal Judge Deborah Batts wrote in February 2006.
Further documents obtained by CBS news in September 2007 revealed that Lower Manhattan was reopened a few weeks following the attack even though the air was not safe.
The two devastating memos, written by the U.S. and local governments, show officials knew the toxic soup created at ground zero was a deadly health hazard. Yet they sent workers into the pit and people back into their homes.
“Not only did they know it was unsafe, they didn’t heed the words of more experienced people that worked for the city and EPA,” said Joel Kupferman, with the group Environmental Justice Project.